Re: Livna nVidia problems...

On 6/23/07, Chris Jones <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wouldn't know unless you post the X logs from each driver.  My best
> guess is that the nv driver just falls back to different defaults than
> the nvidia driver.

The logs are now here

http://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~jonesc/Xorg.log.nv
http://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/~jonesc/Xorg.log.nvidia

for the nv and nvidia drivers respectively.

Those logs don't appear to have been generated under the same
conditions.  You've got a verbose 'nv' driver log, and a non-verbose
nvidia driver log.  However, it looks fairly obvious that the nvidia
driver failed to validate most of your modes because your vrefresh or
hsync values were out of the range required by the EDID of your
display.

I'm no expert, so will defer to your expert opinion, but it seems to me that
nv correctly identifies my monitor,

(II) NV(0): Monitor name: HM903D/DT

( which is a vision master pro 454, 19in)

and goes on to list the correct modes. 1600x1200, which is the mode I want is
properly found and configured to run at 85Hz.

On the contary, the nvidia driver does no seem to do so well.
and seems to decide my screen is only 800x600 and that most modes are out of
freq range.

Right.  If you'd like further assistance, please start X with the
following command (for the nvidia driver):
startx -- -logverbose 6

and then generate and provide an nvidia-bug-report.log.