Re: Livna nVidia problems...

> 'tis an Asus V8420/128M Rev 101 NVidia NV25 GeForce4 Ti 4200 rev a3
> card.  If anyone knows how to make it work with FC7, I'd like to hear
> about it.  We had it working fine on FC5, long ago.
>
> Additionally, information on making it run the monitor at the rates that
> I know it can run at, rather than Xorg thinks it can manage, are welcome
> (Compaq V75).  I get variable results at configuring resolutions.

One minor complication theses days is there is effectively 2 legacy drivers. A
1.0-96xx driver that supports old cards, and a 1.0-71xx driver that supports
really old cards...

The livna readme

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/appendix-a.html

Quite clearly shows that your card should be support by the 1.0-96xx driver.

I would recommend getting your driver from the livna (or atrpms, or freshrpms.
I use livna personally) repo and not installing by hand via the official
nvidia installer, as the rpms are more 'fedora-aware'.  This can be done with

 > yum install kmod-nvidia-96xx

( kmod-nvidia-96xx-PAE if you have the PAE kernel etc.)

While you are at it, I would also grab the package yum-fedorakmod. When a new
kernel is released there is, naturally, a short delay between the release and
the various third party repos making the kernel modules for the new kernel
available. If you where to upgrade during this period you would end up with a
system with no X... This package fixes this by making yum hold back any
kernel updates until all the kmods you have installed are also available.

I had a similar problem with the refresh rates as you seem to have. I found
that whilst the nv driver found all the modes my screen can support just
fine, the nvidia driver (I have to use the 1.0-71xx driver since my card is
quite elderly) did not. The problem for me was the driver was not getting the
horizontal and vert frequencies correctly, and default to very safe values...
This can be easily fixed by supply your own. Add a section like

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 130.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 200.0
EndSection

where the freqs are what your screen can support. Make sure your Screen
section also has

	Monitor    "Monitor0"

For me, that fixed the problem.

cheers Chris