Re: F7: Evolution constantly crashing

Hi same problem;

I am adding a copy of a post I sent to the evolution users list, plus
some comments I got back.  Maybe my info can help diagnose what is going
on.

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 04:26 -0500, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble with evolution... and, somehow, I think it's not an
> evolution bug...
>
> Sometime evolution (and gthumb viewer, games and some others) freeze.
> I don't always get a bugbudy screen but, when I do, I always see some
> thread64 lib that has something to do with it.
>
> I have installed the debug symbols so I can post a real good bug about
> this. I promise to take note of the exact library next time I get a
> bugbudy screen (or do a traceback).
>
> Anyway, I think we have a bug in some multythread lib... anybody
> experiencing anything like this?
"To: Evolution Users Mailing List

[Evolution] Persistent intermittent
Compose widow freeze ??
                              Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:22:12 -0400
                            Mailer:
Evolution 2.10.2 (2.10.2-2.fc7)

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it a bug?

Every now and then my compose window freezes and freezes all other
applications on my machine.  My hard drive comes on and continues to run
for no apparent reason.  The CPU does not seem to be being used but can
only recognize a keyboard or mouse command every 10 - 30 seconds or so.

The only way out is to Ctrl-Alt-Fx; login as root, killall -u user, and
reboot.  It feels like the compose widow has set up a loop.  I say feels
like because I have been unable to catch it with top or see if a
continuous swap has been going on.

It is not a new problem.  I have had it happen to me in FC5, FC6 and now
F-7.  This freezing is rare and seems random, but persistent.
... "

Evo List suggestions that the hard drive was thrashing between swap and
memory.

I've downloaded evolution-debug and will try and capture the problem
from xterm the next time it happens.  F-7 has frozen three or four times
over the last week.  It also happened in earlier Fedora versions, but
only re-occured every 3 to 5 months randomly.

Whatever the original problem, F-7 seems to have exacerbated it.

No solutions, but I hope this adds to the understanding of the problem.

--
Regards Bill