Re: MS compatible MUAs [was Re: evolution weirdness]

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 11:42 -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
> > Andrew Kelly wrote:
> >> On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 09:55 +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

<snip>

> >> Are there other MUAs that one can run in Linux that can connect to an
> >> Exchange server, other that Evolution? I also am marooned in an MS dominated
> >> LAN with the need to access corporate mail. I also use Evolution, as much as
> >> I would prefer something quicker and more reliable (and for God's sake, more
> >> capable of sensible exportation). But what are the alternative?
> >>
> >> Andy
> >>

> > We use Exchange here, and most everyone uses Exchange for us geeks who
> > use Linux with Thunderbird and IMAPS on the server.  It's been rock
> > solid for the 2 years we've had it in place.
> >

> I wish we had IMAP access to the Exchange server.  Or even POP but head
> office says no.

Yeah, same here. OWA access is all we get if we're not an Outlook droid.

> Evolution is the only way to go.  After a few months of trying to get to
> like Evolutions, I gave up.  I hate the interface in Evolution and I
> find it very slow, and impossible to use if you have lots of filters.  I
> do not want my mail continuously checked.

Yes, preach Robin!

> My procedure is to open Evolution and move my mail to an export folder
> on my local machine.
>
> I then save the file in a sub directory of Thunderbird's local folders.
>
> I then run the filters in Thunderbird and enjoy my email.

Oh. That might be an approach for me as well, thanks. Lot of silly
knucklework to get some simple mail, but that's life I recon.

Hm, maybe it would interesting to look into the connector code and hack
out the tasty bits to make a tool for the command line; something that
could be piped to procmail....

> Now there is hope in the future with this project.
>
>    http://www.openchange.org/
>
> They have a plugin for Evo 2.8.  Now if there was a plugin for
> Thunderbird.

Andy