Re: spam

maillist@xxxxxxx wrote:
I did not realise until I checked one of my spam filters today how much spam I was receiving because I have posted on this list. Someone on the list seems to feel it is a demonstration of their IT skill to be able to harvest email addresses on a mail list. The only way to deal with these internet terrorists is to "let" them win by no longer using email lists. Must be a great satisfaction to them to be able able to stop the free exchange of advice, information and ideas. Un-subscribing from this may not be much of a loss to to the list but, when some person decides to use the list to troll for email addresses to spam the simplest thing to do is just stop using the email address I use for the list. Spammers misuse of internet features such as mail lists are effectively killing other users enjoyment and use of the net.

In the last month, I have seen a big increase of the spam to the address I use on this list. (When I say big increase, it's gone from erm.... 1 every blue moon, to 1-2 a day... Which is big for this email address I use on this list, but nothing compared to the ** 1000's per HOUR ** I see on my other domains I manage).

One method I employ is to set up specific email addresses for each public facing space I post to. Most accounts forward to one box where I pick the mail up.
This allows me to keep tracks on where the spam is coming from..
It also helps when I purchase something on line from JoeWotsitName.tld and I tick the NO further contact, and I use a specific email address only to start receiving mails, I know who leaked it, or who sold it.
Then I can come down on them with the proof it was them as well...

But NONE of the spam I've gotten to the email address I've used on this list has passed any of the most common RBL checks and therefore never gotten past my Windows (Spampal) or Linux (various) filtering and made it into my mail box...

Regards

Chris