Re: F7 Silly question about system-config-samba

2007/6/21, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Tim:
>> Two things spring to mind:  What's the default workgroup named used if
>> you don't specify one?  And, you can browse through different
>> workgroups.

antonio montagnani:
> 1) I suppose that the default workgroup in Samba is MYGROUP: am I wrong?

I can't test what FC7 does, at the moment.  But on CentOS (probably an
older Samba than what you're playing with), if you comment it out, you
get "WORKGROUP".  The prepared config file has "MYGROUP" as the
suggested entry in a comment, but it's not its default.

Going from memory, WORKGROUP used to be the default used in Windows.
But more recently, MYGROUP is used as the default.

> 2) I doubt that from a Windows machine joining WORKGROUP as workgroup
> you can jump in workgroups different from WORKGROUP. But I am not an
> expert of workgroupping in Windows :-)

You can browse another workgroup, not always easily, though.

Play with "testparm -v" if you want to see how Samba is configured.  You
can see your configurations and the defaults.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.