Re: Running X in runlevel 3

Chris Jones wrote:
On limited hardware that could be reason alone to use startx from 3.

Your argument that it helps on low end machines only makes sense to me if the login screen is somehow 'remembered' after log on, so still using system resources.

Well the login manager (at least gdm) usually hangs around in the background after you've logged in so it could make a small difference in terms of memory usage.

I really doubt this is the case in which case I doubt, once you have your desktop session running it really makes a difference whether you went via the standard login window (init 5 if you like) or startx from init 3?

But I agree with you that peformance wise, init 5 or init 3 + startx is would be negligable and of course there's simpler modes for gdm and lighter weigth login managers available.

--
Ian Chapman.