Re: Running X in runlevel 3

On 6/19/07, Chris Jones <jonesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any particular benefit to starting X by saying "init 5" rather
> than "startx" from runlevel 3?  (Although, I can only do that as the
> superuser...)

I'm not sure quite what you are asking, but do you know you can switch between
init levels by typing (as root)

 > telinit X

where X is the level you want to switch to. Useful for instance if you want to
drop down from 5 to 3 to upgrade X, gnome or KDE, or if you booted into init
3 and want to subsequently switch to 5

Not sure if this answers your question....

Chris

I think he wants to know if there is an advantage in using startx from
3 or graphical login from 5.

If you use startx from level 3 then you will not waste the overhead of
the graphical login manager kdm, xdm, gdm or whatever you use.

On limited hardware that could be reason alone to use startx from 3.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at