Re: LVM or not (was: splitting off directories)

Steve Searle wrote:
> Well if people want to start one, they can form here.  Please note
> that the asteriscs around "me" in my original quote were intentional
> in tha tI meant I didn't use it, as I hadn't found it to be
> advantageous to me and my set up.  It was not meant idisparage LVM
> or to imply that it wouldn't be useful for other people and their
> needs.

I'll bite. :)

LVM has some definite advantages, but also some limitations -- doesn't
all cool technology?  On my laptop I don't use it.  I have the 100GB
disc partitioned as follows:

/dev/sda1               1           6       48163+  de  Dell Utility
/dev/sda2   *           7        1466    11727450   83  Linux
/dev/sda3            1467        2712    10008495   83  Linux
/dev/sda4            2713       11978    74429145    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            2713       11728    72420988+  83  Linux
/dev/sda6           11729       11978     2008093+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

I have two ~10GB partitions that I use as OS install partitions.  I
usually have 2 Fedora releases at a time.  When a new release comes
out I overwrite the older one.  I just updated the FC5 install with F7
(a clean install, not an upgrade).  so I now have FC6 and F7.  When F8
comes out, I'll probably overwrite FC6.  That's worked well for me.
I can use things like partimage to clone the old install partition
before doing the new install, that way I can revert to the old one
easily, should the new version prove to be a dud.  Partimage doesn't
do LVM I don't think (or it didn't when I started using it).

The larger partition is where I keep all of my personal data.  It used
to be /home, but I recently started keeping /home in with the regular
install, since I was in the habit of not mixing the various gui
configurations from different versions anyway.  I have other configs
that I want to remain the same (bash, mutt, subversion, vim, ~/bin,
etc).  I keep those in a subversion repository.  When I update I can
then just check out that stuff in my home dir and have things setup
mostly as I like.  (The gui configs notwithstanding. :)

I also have a local file server for backups, music, video and stuff.
On that box I do use LVM.  It's been really handy as the space
requirements grew.  I just add a new hard drive and add it to the LVM
for /home.  That's far nicer to me than having to figure out which
folder inside of /home to which I want to allocate all the new storage
space.

How's that for a lengthy "It depends." ??

> Lets keep this thread clean, people :-)

Uh oh, the ref means business. ;-)

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson