Re: Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| From: Langdon Stevenson <langdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| My Fedora 7 system is running well, except for the nasty habit of freezing two
| or three times per day when I am working.

Your symptoms are non-specific: lots of diseases have the same
symptom.  So you need more information.

You can read a few of my messages to the list about things to try.

- when a lock-up happens, try to ssh in from another computer.  If you
  can, then it isn't a kernel crash
I will try this next time. I verified that I can do this when the laptop is healthy
- boot with kernel parameter "maxcpus=1".  This may suppress the
  problem.  Not a great long-term solution because you lose the use of
  one of your cores.
In my case, this makes no sense as it is a 32bit single processor.
- use a serial console to discover what's bugging your system

- use kdump and clash(8) to grab a dump when the kernel crashes and
  then analyze that dump.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-June/msg03592.html
Thanks for the reference.

Philip