Re: Three Observations

Les Mikesell wrote:
Ian Malone wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:
Mauriat M wrote:

As for Skype and for anything closed source, Fedora realistically
cannot support such applications.

What do you mean by 'support'? Applications only need a working and documented interface provided by the operating system. Is Fedora a poor choice to provide that?

No.  But whose fault is it when something goes wrong?

If the application works on other systems, then it's pretty likely that the OS version is not providing the standard interface as documented.

What EVERYONE on this list has forgot is that Fedora Core ANYTHING is most correctly called Linux. The reason Fedora anything works is because there are paid people from Red Hat Inc. that help out.

Today I took a Tarball called gMFSK which was last checked out on Red Hat 9, and with the help of many on this list I ./configure -- xxx --xxxx and when that went clean I used "make" and that errored out because I was missing a stupid thing I yummed from Fedora. Then as root I make install and that worked. Right now it is using the sound card to decode PSK-31 from my radio on 14.070 MHz. This was the fastest I ever got this working on a new Linux version.

You can be sure when Hemmi wrote this software Fedora was not invented. And be sure that F7 is Linux first and Fedora for applications and such second. I need help with both Linux and Fedora Core 6 applications and I sure get them here :-)

73 Karl Larsen aka K5DI