Three Observations

           Three Things.

1. I have been a member of this busy Fedora list for 2 weeks and now I have moved lock stock and barrel from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 6. I had planned to move to Fedora 7 but this list talked me out of doing that. And I have learned some really interesting things. I plan to stay and add what I can to the soup.

2. I got some really bad advice from this group. I was told to use the Firefox shipped by FD6 and yum Thunderbird from Fedora. These are supposed to be better somehow.This is not the case. They are the easiest to get. But I stuck to my old habits and went to the Mozilla web page first thing after getting this working and D/L the Version 2.0.4 of Firefox and Thunderbird. I have no problem with tar and now both versions are running in good shape and they have the history from Fedora Core 4 on them.It is very easy, just mount the FC4 on this computer and replace the new .thunderbird/ and .mozilla/ with the old ones from FC4. This takes 5 minutes.

3. The Alsa sound Mixer is not a finished product. It is nice as it's done by Gnome but it should be made so a user can turn it on and go about changing it to what they want and that should become the default settings. I use the sound card for sound and also as a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) engine. This lets me make some really fast written data transfer using gMFSK. Skype is also a fun way to talk over the Internet and it uses both an earphone and a Mike. These last to items are NOT Fedora products but they are made to run on Linux.

Karl Larsen