Re: Serial Ports

Jeffrey Ross wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:

I compiled gMSSK which is a Ham Radio program that uses the sound card to transmit and receive written data and pictures from another station miles away using a radio.

   It works fine but:
crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   64 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS0
crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   65 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS1
crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   66 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS2
crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   67 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS3
drwxr-

as you can see ttyS0 is owned by root and group uucp. I need to change this so a user can use this com 1 serial port. How do you do that?

73 Karl

easiest (proper?) way to do this is add the user or users that need access to the serial ports to the uucp group in /etc/group. Next time the user logs in they'll have access to the serial ports.

Jeff

Not quite Jeff. I am the user and it didn't work until I rebooted Windows upps Linux :-)

Karl