Re: Fedora vs OpenSuse

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

I understand that point and it's valid however it is a important differentiation. SELinux with the assorted set of security enhancements have been very useful in mitigating security issues. Even end users who tend to not like SELinux and turn it off have benefited it from it.

While SELinux policies a number of issues have been fixed with software that was using more privileges than necessary or need to be redesigned because there was fundamental flaws.

Can you give some real examples of something where correctly applied standard unix/linux permissions and user/group ids would not work but SELinux does? Or currently-likely bugs in programs that need suid root permissions to open a low-numbered port but otherwise run as a uid with limited permissions that SELinuc might catch. It might be easier to tolerate the backwards-incompatibilities if we had some actual examples of how it has helped anyone.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx