Re: Some simple questions.

On 13/06/07 13:40 -0600, clemens@xxxxxxx wrote:
1)  Is there someplace else that the hostname is stored?
     The very first line in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit is
          HOSTNAME=`'bin/hostname`
      so it has figured it out by that time.

In  /etc/sysconfig/network have a line

HOSTNAME=.....

Initially I was not able to get out to net from the client.
I did a echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
and I can now get out USING IP ADDRESSES.

2) I seem to remember that there is some preferred place to put this
   echo command, but cant remember where.  I can put it anywhere,
   but would like it where it belongs (and where I can find it
   later).

In /etc/sysctl.conf have a line
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

3) From the outside I can ping the client with either name or IP address.
   From the client,  I can ping, and do ssh, and whatever with IP addresses,
   I can't do them with host names.  The /etc/resolv.conf is the same as on
   my other machines, but nslookup just hangs.

   Im confused on this one, any thoughts?  Whats missing?

Dunno.  What does dig www.google.com (or any known address) say?
Is your firewall blocking outgoing dns?  Have you checked output of:
# iptables -L -n
--
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku@xxxxxxxxx