Re: Advice on upgrading FC6 to F7

At 1:50 PM +0100 6/13/07, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Sultan Saini wrote:
>
>> I am currently running FC6  + kernel 2.6.22rc3 prepatch. This kernel
>> is set up nicely for me and I've gotten everything working that I
>> needed to. I'm reluctant to upgrade to FC7 because of the possible
>> downtime involved. However, I do have two other kernels installed
>> (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 & 2.6.20-1.2948) that I don't mind messing with.
>>
>> Is it possible to upgrade just one of those kernels to FC7 without
>> affecting my 'working' kernel? And if so, would it be saner to upgrade
>> using the dvd or yum?
>
>This seems to me a misunderstanding.
>Upgrading to F7 does not have much to do with the kernel;
>well, it will introduce a new kernel
>and will delete all your old kernels unless you ask it not to
>(by setting enabled=0 in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf).
>
>The main change you need to make before upgrading
>is to make sure all the partitions in /etc/fstab
>(and root= in /etc/grub.conf) are replaced by labels,
>eg LABEL=/ for /dev/hda3 .
>
>But read the Installation Notes ...

AIUI, what is needed is for fstab to not specify any partitions by
/dev/hd*, as that will change to /dev/s?*, with probably a different
number.  I've been told that LVM volume entries won't need any change.  The
Release Notes weren't quite clear about it.

When I upgrade, I'll do it by:

    make a full backup
    copy my existing FC6 to the "other" partition
    get that working
    edit fstab so entries refer to /dev/hd*
    use the DVD Installer to do an upgrade install via the hard-disk

This allows me to use FC6 if F7 has issues, provides an on-line backup for
simple issues such as restoring the kernels that Anaconda will delete, and
has a separate backup in case of disaster.