Re: Shutting down Fedora-7

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 15:42, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> >> The reason I suspect a bug is that when I restart the machine
> >> I always get a message from Firefox saying that the last session
> >> ended improperly, and asking me if I want to resume the last session
> >> or start a new session.
> >
> > Did you shut down Firefox before restarting the machine? :-)
>
> No.
> But I never used to in any previous version of Fedora,
> and it never caused any problem,
> or resulted in this warning.
> I assumed that Firefox closed properly when sent some signal.
>
> Has there in fact been a change
> either in Fedora or in Firefox
> to cause this behaviour?

> Timothy Murphy

Ok. I have the same problem on Debian, where, if I leave Firefox open when I
shutdown, when I reboot, I get this warning message saying "what do you want
to do".

After some time in Firefox's about:config, and also on the site at
mozillazine.org, I found this.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.startup.page

This has fixed the problem for me. Now when I shutdown with Firefox open, and
displaying a webpage, I reboot, and Firefox restores the session, still
displaying the webpage that was there when I shutdown, but now with no
message box.

The procedure:

Go to about:config in Firefox. Scroll down a bit to
browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash

Double click on it, to change it from true to false.

5 lines down at, browser.startup.page, double click again, and enter 2 in the
dialog box that appears.

That appears to fix the problem. Logged out, and back in, and Firefox is there
with the previous webpage showing. Shutdown, then rebooted. Same thing. I
havn't done a hard reset, or unplugged the machine to simulate a power out to
see if FF still comes back ok though. At least it gets rid of that message
box every time I boot up.

Nigel.

btw. Earlier versions of FF appeared to be using this.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionstore.resume_session