Installed Fedora 7, wish I had not, hangs all the time [Was: Re: Fedora 7 install hung [Was: Re: Fedora 7 CD iso files?]]

Philip Walden wrote:
Philip Walden wrote:
Philip Walden wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Philip Walden wrote:

Restarted and this time I got several hours into the install to "5 of
864 completed Installing glibc-common - 2.6-3.i386". Same thing, no disk activity, the cursor would not track and the spinning wait cursor froze.

At this point I suspect my original FC6 is busted. Any suggestions
before I start with a complete, from scratch including disk reformat?

Well, is FC-6 "busted" or not?
I mean, will the system re-boot?

My experience is that if an upgrade fails
the system usually runs OK.

I had at least 3 failures like this while upgrading an Athlon-64 machine,
and it seems to run fine.
You are right, I was able to reboot on the original FC6 install. Sorry it was late and I just tried it today. I have never had a install problem before, so I had no idea what the result was going to be.

I guess I am being a gluten for punishment, I tried again. This time it stuck quickly at the "Checking dependencies" again.

I am not installing on a weird system, I think. It's a older i386 HP OB6000 laptop. I had no problems installing FC4, and upgrading to FC5 and FC6 on this system.

This is the first time I have had to try the http source install as this thing's DVD-ROM will not recognize my DVD+R or DVD-R disks. Could the http sourcing cause this problem? Should I just keep trying until I get it going? The previous run was about 4-5 hours into the install when it hung.
So I tried again. This time I am stuck. I insert the boot disk. When I get to the specify http source screen and press ok, it displays a loading image message and then the screen scrolls over with garbage text (looking like Russian cryllic) and stops. I try again, same thing. I unmount and remount the iso on the http server, and try again. Now I get the Russian text after selecting the Install or upgrade option in the Welcome to Fedora screen, nevermind selecting the language, keyboard and http source.

I try again, this time no Russian, but it hangs on "Running anaconda".

Looks like FC7 just does not like this box. I can't be a hardware failure, as I can use this thing "until the cows come home" with FC6.
One last time, and now it dies loading the image from the http source. The paints with a call trace dump and the following text at the end.

"BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 8b397507
 printing eip:
c0406643
*pde = 00000000
Recursive die() failure, output suppressed"
So I gave up on the upgrade and went for the disk format and install. At least this went smoothly to completion.

One point, though, during the early period of the install, the installer warned about low memory and needing to overlay the swap. So I assumed the upgrade was not smart enough to use swap properly.

However, now that I am installed, I get frequent system hangs at various points: during boot, after user login, running applications. It never lasts longer than a few minutes.