Fedora 7 install hung [Was: Re: Fedora 7 CD iso files?]

Philip Walden wrote:
Philip Walden wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 16:42:05 -0700
Knute Johnson <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That works fine but you can't upgrade an existing installation without a DVD drive or a complicated (and not really documented so that a linux blivet can do it) set of procedures.

You already have a mail server and a desktop machine.  Why not copy the
dvdimage and host a nfs server on one (which will take you about 3 minutes to set up), and boot off of the cdrom boot.iso on the other; upgrade it. Then copy
the dvd image to the other, host a nfs server on that, and upgrade it.

Assuming that they are in the same room (or can be brought into the same room) it won't take any longer to do it this way than it would take to shuffle
all of those CD's around.  Really
I can try that.
A short log of my alternative Fedora 7 upgrade from FC6 install on an HP OB6000.

  1. Thought I try the iso on the hard drive. So I copied the F-7-DVD
     iso to my hard drive. Did not work because as I found out later in
     the install guide, in a special note box: "Cannot Install from LVM
     Partitions. You cannot use ISO files on partitions controlled by
     LVM (Logical Volume Management).". LVM is the default install for
     my laptop. Seems like a bad mis-direction taking away CDs, giving
you the iso on hard drive option, but getting you on the LVM catch-22.
  2. http: It was not clear as to what you had to make available via
     http. Made the F-7 DVD iso accessible. The installer complained.
  3. Mounted the DVD iso and made the contents accessible via http and
     was able to proceed.

The upgrade install is still in progress. Cross your fingers.

The finger crossing did not work. It hung on "Checking dependencies in packages" with the progress dialog at <10%, no disk activity, the cursor would not track and the spinning wait cursor froze.

Restarted and this time I got several hours into the install to "5 of 864 completed Installing glibc-common - 2.6-3.i386". Same thing, no disk activity, the cursor would not track and the spinning wait cursor froze.

At this point I suspect my original FC6 is busted. Any suggestions before I start with a complete, from scratch including disk reformat? I have seen elsewhere in this list that Fedora 7 hangs and is buggy. Should I give up and go back to FC6 for now.