Re: Big FC6 bug

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 08:05:51PM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I wanted to load FC6 over F7 and not give it grub. I got the loading
> done fine but when I rebooted there was just GRUB! What a shock! I'm not
> good at Grub and your FC6 loader lied. I told it to do nothing and it
> wrote GRUB!!!!

Not necessarily. Perhaps when you installed F7, anaconda likely
installed grub. (If not, how were you booting?) When you installed
FC6, you told anaconda not to install grub. It left the MBR alone,
meaning it left the F7 grub intact. What did you expect?

If you think there is a bug in F7 anaconda, please wipe the hard
drive's MBR with, e.g.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=2

Then please install, and carefully tell anaconda not to install a boot
loader or to use the partition's boot record. Then see what happens
when you boot.

Also, an accusation of lying is an accusation of deliberate
malice. Please be very careful with such accusations.

>    To get back up I had to re-load FC6 and make it use grub.

For future reference: you could have booted the installation CD in
rescue mode, done a "chroot /mnt/sysimage", and run "grub-install
/dev/hda".