Re: fedora customized for low-end systems?

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 04:16 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to "sell" linux and fedora in my home country. What is a
> good option for those with low-end systems? I know that one option is to
> download Fedora and then add XFCE or Fluxbox, etc, but that brings in all this
> junk with KDE and Gnome. Is there an easy way to get around this? Somehow,
> minimall install seems far too clunky.
>
> Now, we all know that any bloated linux system is better than Windoze, but that
> is not the issue. I am looking for an unbloated system for people who can't
> upgrade every other month, or 5 years, really!
>
> Any thoughts?
> Best wishes,
> Trotter

I'm using Fedora on a 10 y/o Dell Inspiron 7000 Laptop with a
PII/366Mhz, 256MB RAM, 10GB HD and a MAC64 graphics card.

The software configure is:
Login: GDM (for now), SLIM (once it gets approved)
DE: IceWM. (Being the Fedora maintainer makes me a bit biased ;))
File management: Thunar (from XFCE)
Office: Abiword (As much as I can), OO (when I must)
Internet: Firefox. (Epiphany doesn't seem to save enough memory to make
it worth-while)

The machine is used for code development (using vim) and works
reasonably well.
In general, the biggest problem is not the CPU, but the memory
consumption.
Firefox and OO are both huge memory hogs. I'm still looking for a
low-fat OSS browser that doesn't need ~60-100MB of memory :(

- Gilboa