Re: fedora customized for low-end systems?

P Jones wrote:

I have been trying to "sell" linux and fedora in my home country. What is a
good option for those with low-end systems? I know that one option is to
download Fedora and then add XFCE or Fluxbox, etc, but that brings in all this junk with KDE and Gnome. Is there an easy way to get around this? Somehow,
minimall install seems far too clunky.

Now, we all know that any bloated linux system is better than Windoze, but that is not the issue. I am looking for an unbloated system for people who can't
upgrade every other month, or 5 years, really!

It isn't a Fedora derivative, but you could check out Zenwalk linux
(www.zenwalk.org). I use it two of my machines, an old Toshiba 1555cds
laptop (176 MB RAM, 10 GB HD, 350 MHz PII) and it works acceptably
well as a one-application-at-a-time machine, and an HP something or
other with 256 MB RAM, 12 GB HD, and a 1.3 GHz PIII. On that machine
it works quite well, even running OpenOffice.org 2.2.0.

I would love to see a Fedora for older machines. I'd be happy to test
and work on the English language files if anyone wants to start the
ball rolling.

Further on in the thread someone mentions OLPC; I think it would be
worth looking at, but there are two things that might disqualify OLPC
for me if I understand it correctly; first, the desktop interface is
very different from what I might call "typical", and secondly I'd like
a distribution that was compatible with the latest Fedora so updates
would be available.

Fedora has a long way to go to be a good fit on older machines. I'd start with a 2.4 kernel based distro that still has some support life like Centos 3.x, then try to back in current versions of the apps that you use that are really out of date on it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx