Re: FC7 from FC6 - Grub non updated [MORE INFO]

At 4:03 PM +0200 6/8/07, antonio montagnani wrote:
>2007/6/8, Mark Haney <mhaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> > Why was the FC6 kernel no longer available?
>>
>> No, it was not.
>>
>> > Was it because you deleted it?
>>
>> No, because the upgrade deleted it, it was there before the upgrade.
>>
>> > If so, I would say the error was on your part, not Fedora's.
>>
>> Good point, except for the fact that it's totally wrong.  Do you
>> honestly think I'd bitch and moan if it was something I did?  I've
>> upgraded a dozen machines to F7 now and in 9 of the 12 or 13, grub has
>> failed to update properly.  Oh, it setup the F7 kernel entry, but didn't
>> set it as the default boot kernel.  That is a bug.  Plain and simple.
>> Now /why/ it's a problem on some and not on others, I do not know.  If I
>> did I'd be posting the answer.

>in my experience, during upgrades old kernels are always deleted (that
>might be a problem if the only installed kernel wouldn't work (that
>never happened to me, but it might happen)
>I am not a geek, so I do not know if there is any particular reason to
>remove all old kernel..
>
>Generally speaking, I find that grub is generally updated
>properly...my two cents...

It is also my experience that all "old" kernels are deleted.  Kernels for a
different installation are also removed.  As part of my upgrade process I
make a backup and also put a copy of /boot into /root, and I restore the
kernels from that from the RescueCD.