Re: Any experience with Lenovo N100 or ACER AS5103?

| From: Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx>

| It'd be nice to hear if anyone has experience of the following two
| laptops.

| Acer AS5103 http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4F5Y
| Wireless is really odd, since they've decided to give it their own
| branding. Write-ups for similar model numbers mention both Atheros
| and Broadcom; not sure if these are different drivers for the same
| chipset or completely different chipsets (one page in particular has
| the two alongside).  Graphics are ATI which I'm a bit wary of.

I don't really understand the different Acer models.

I was commissioned by my son to buy him an inexpensive small notebook
to run Linux (I like shopping for computers and fiddling to make them
work).

- The smallest inexpensive notebooks I found have 14" displays.  The
  choice of 14" systems is low -- there are many more 15.4" models.

- I wanted Intel-all-the-way for the reasons that have already been
  pointed out.

I ended up getting an Acer Aspire 5570-2792 with a "Pentium Dual
Core".  This CPU is the confusingly-named price-reduced version of the
Intel Core.  I figure that it is a good mobile CPU at a bargain price.
No 64-bit, no VT.

Unfortunately this Acer has an Atheros 802.11g interface, not an Intel
one.  This was unclear from the specifications (heck, some
specifications that seemed to apply listed Intel).  Grrr.

I put Ubuntu on it.  I wanted a fresh Linux and Ubuntu Feisty Fawn was
out and F7 was not.  Besides, it is handy to have all that forbidden
candy on a notebook (mp3 players etc.).

I've documented what I had to do to get Ubuntu going.  F7 should be
similar:
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5570-2792

The biggest adventure was the Atheros 802.11g interface.  For some
reason that I could not figure out the half-open driver did not work.
Perhaps something that Acer did to the chips.  Anyway, the problem is
in the binary part of the driver and there seems to be little support
from Atheros(?) or Leffler(?) to fix things like that.  I ended up
using ndiswrapper and getting it fixed by the author!

Madwifi problem like the one I hit:
	http://madwifi.org/ticket/1206

Leffler talking about his "open source"ish driver:
  http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=149

I think that this machine was a good choice given that price was a
primary concern.  I got quite a good deal (Canadian $600). I then
replaced the 1 x 512M of RAM with 2 x 1G sticks for a very low price
(C$80 total) -- RAM prices have crashed perhaps due to slower than
expected MS Vista adoption

If the price were less important, I would have made a few different
choices.  I agree that 12" screen makes a notebook more portable but
it usually makes it more pricey too.  I actually use a cheap 10.6" one
(not easy to find!).