Re: Proposal for New Installation Features

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 13:19 -0500, Browder, Tom wrote:
> I have worked through MANY redhat and fedora installations over the
> years, most of them installing new over existing /boot, /, and swap
> partitions (I always protect my data on their own partition, /usr/local,
> which is not formatted).  It has always been an irritant that a clean
> install defaults to completely wipe out one's data if not careful.  The
> menu has improved but I would I would like to see the following features
> for a standard Fedora install:
>
> 1.  If there are any linux partitions found, the default should be to
> customize the linux partitions.  Let the user change that if desired.
>
> 2.  During a custom partitioning selection, any existing partition label
> should be retained, even though the partition is formatted.

The partition label (old mount point) is reported on the popup where you
select the new mount point.  I was pleased to see that in F7, that
applies to LVM volumes as well.  If you stick with the Fedora default
labels, you should be OK there, but there have been other discussions
about whether the mount point is the right thing to put in the label.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu