Re: Proposal for New Installation Features

On 6/6/07, Browder, Tom <Tom.Browder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have worked through MANY redhat and fedora installations over the
years, most of them installing new over existing /boot, /, and swap
partitions (I always protect my data on their own partition, /usr/local,
which is not formatted).  It has always been an irritant that a clean
install defaults to completely wipe out one's data if not careful.  The
menu has improved but I would I would like to see the following features
for a standard Fedora install:

1.  If there are any linux partitions found, the default should be to
customize the linux partitions.  Let the user change that if desired.

2.  During a custom partitioning selection, any existing partition label
should be retained, even though the partition is formatted.

I will file these as feature requests if there is any support for them
on this list.

Thanks.

-Tom

P.S.  I have now installed F7 on one laptop (wireless not configured
successfully yet, but Matthew Saltzman on this list is helping) and four
i86 boxes and am pleased with the results.  I had to use a hard drive
installation on two old boxes because of the installation failure to
recognize the DVD after installation started, but newer boxes have
worked fine.

File away! You can also join the fedora-devel-list (Rahul, please
modify list if necessary.) and give them your two cents.