Re: cups - 403 forbidden

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 07:28:26 +0200 (CEST)
Roger Grosswiler <roger@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...so this means, you have back the standard-printer you want to? It seems, as for
> "normal" users, change of settings is not allowed on the clientside...or am i false?

I'm not exactly sure that I understand your question, however I will try to
answer what I think you are asking and if I miss the mark let me know and I
will try again.

Short recap of the problem:  I changed my default printer from a remote printer
to Cups-PDF using the cups web interface (http://localhost:631).  Subsequently,
when I tried to change the default printer back to the remote printer, I got a
"403 Forbidden" error.

When I hit the "default printer" button on the cups configuration web page, I
get a enter-username-and-password box.  I enter root for username and root's
password when I am asked.  Then I see "403 Forbidden".

However, following your suggestion, I cranked up system-config-printers (whihc
I also had to run as root, of course).  I then selected the remote printer off
of the list shown and hit the "make default" button.  Bingo!  Now my default
printer is  once again the remote printer.

In conclusion, setting the default printer to a remote printer doesn't appear
to work through the F7 cups web interface.  As I had the remote printer already
set as the default printer under FC6 before I upgraded this computer to F7, the
default printer setting stayed until I changed it to something else.  But after
changing it to something else, the cups web interface won't let me change it
back.  system-config-printers allows me to change it back and set my default
printer to a remote printer once again.

Should I submit this to bugzilla, do you think?