Re: Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 23:20 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> Brace yourself - it's $60/mo - there's a problem with it, which is latency.
> Your bits have to travel 26k miles out to space, then back, and then the
> second round trip for all the hand shaking and so forth. Once a connection is
> established, it's supposed to pretty fast, but, if you're doing a lot of
> jumping around from site to site, it's reported to be annoying. Things that
> are associated with time-outs also tend to occur more frequently.

A friend of mine had satellite internet, his would completely drop out
during rain, just like satellite television would (being affected by
rain does depend on the frequencies being used).  I had an ISP that used
a satellite link between them and their upstream provider, while we were
all on wired connections to the ISP, their service sucked in just the
way that you described.  Satellite internet would be a last resort
choice for me.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.