Re: Build for Generic Linux Solved?

Les wrote:
On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 08:10 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[that he wanted a static link and that]

I tried several other things, but this is the one which made
the executable actually grow. Brief perusal of the map seems
to indicate that the libs got included into the image.

That would seem to be the correct behavior for the -static option.  You
should have seen the Make output on your console, which might have

Umm, I just ran the compiler.

included the libraries that were linked to the code.  That is what the
-M flag does for you.  I used to use it to generate a make file rule,

-M gives me a link map, I thought.

but when I moved to IDE's I quite using Makefile systems, most of them
have a predefined project file of one kind or another which performs the
functions of Make or actually uses make in the background.  You can also
use the -static option to only include the libgcc so that you aviod the
issues of libgcc not being updated and not having the current calls
implemented.  The other shared library calls seldom change, especially
for a program like hello (I am assuming this is the "hello world"
program.

This may be so, but what I saw was that when I tried to run some of
my programs on a Debian system, they complained about wanting a
particular version of certain libraries. The libraries existed, but
not with the exact names the object wanted.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.