Build for Generic Linux

I have some tools which I use on my machine, and which I wish
also to use on my GF's machine. She runs Debian. I find that
I cannot use images built on my machine, as it has later
versions of the shared libs on it, and at program load time
I get reports of missing shared objects. Surely there is a way to
build my programs so that they do not depend on the SOs in
this manner. I've read the man page for ld and for gcc, yet
haven't managed to figure this out. I thought that using
gcc -o hellostatic hello.c -Wl,-static might do the job, but
this fails with

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Somebody please explain to me how to build an image on my machine
which will run on another distro.

Thanks

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.