Re: Cannot upgrade from FC6->F7. No upgrade option given in install screen.

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Lou Spironello wrote:
>> Thanks Jim for the idea.
>>
>> Did that and still no option to install/upgrade, or detection of
>> fc6 before the partition screen.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Lou
>>

> Could it be that for some reason the installer does not encounter a
> fedora-release package so it refuses to upgrade the system. This
> happened to me once and no upgrade option was provided.
>

> So check your installation for upgrade and verify that
> fedora-release is installed. If it is installed and verifies, it
> must be something to do with not recognizing your hard disk, so back
> to the hunt.
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim for the idea.  I ran rpm -V fedora-release and it validated
properly except for flagging repo files which were changed.
/etc/fedora-release was present. I also renamed the lables of
/boot1->/boot and /usr1->/usr thinking that might be it.  Nada.  Still
no screen displaying radio button options for install or upgrade.

I am running a xen kernel, specifically,
Version     : 2.6.19                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.2911.6.5.fc6

I had problems with 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 so I've never used it.

Does the installer look at the grub.conf file when upgrading at that
point in the upgrade?

Are there any debug settings I can set, etc, etc.  I've been going at
this for three days and no luck.

Could something in the partition table be incorrectly set?

Just by chance I said, why not check to see what parted dumps out.
I noticed the following error at the botton of the list:
  Error: Unable to open /dev/md0 - unrecognised disk
label.

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities :
unused devices: <none>

I remember on irc someone had asked if I'm using software raid to
which I responded no.
I am currently not running software raid and thought I had removed
software raid last year.
Apparently some remnants were left.

Ideas on where, how, what to remove or change?

Thank you.

Regards
Lou

<snip>
(parted) print all
Model: Maxtor 6Y160P0 (ide)
Disk /dev/hda: 164GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  206MB   206MB   primary   ext3         boot
 2      206MB   50.1GB  49.9GB  primary   ext3
 3      50.1GB  100GB   50.0GB  primary   ext3
 4      100GB   164GB   63.8GB  extended
 5      100GB   102GB   2007MB  logical   linux-swap
 6      102GB   164GB   61.8GB  logical   ext3

Model: ST360021A (ide)
Disk /dev/hdc: 60.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  21.0GB  21.0GB  primary  ext3
 2      21.0GB  41.9GB  21.0GB  primary  ext3
 3      41.9GB  60.0GB  18.1GB  primary  ext3

Model: Maxtor 6Y120P0 (ide)
Disk /dev/hdd: 123GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      32.3kB  101MB   101MB   primary  ext3
 2      101MB   60.1GB  60.0GB  primary  ext3
 3      60.1GB  108GB   47.9GB  primary  ext3

Error: Unable to open /dev/md0 - unrecognised disk label.

(parted)

</snip>