Re: Another stellar release from the Fedora project

My my my.  You're a nasty little package.  May I suggest the Gentoo
distro for you?  Boo-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!

On 6/1/07, Roo <oscosc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:36:52 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:

> Roo wrote:
>> Working FC6 installation... I use upgrade DVD
>>
>> 1. Complains that my dos partition can't be mounted. Ignore it.
>>
>> 2. Complains that it cannot find swap space... offers to reboot.
>> Reboot... same problem. I remove any reference to swap in /etc/fstab...
>> and it seems to work after rebooting
>>
> HUGE red flag here.  Your fstab is invalid and you wish to continue?? This
> is madness.  You will surely need to do a wipe and install.

My fstab is NOT invalid. You did read the bit about it being perfectly
functional on FC6? Clearly not.

>> 3. now Anaconda gives an exception while cataloguing the packages.
>> Classy... really professional that one. So  I remove blank lines from
>> /etc/modules.conf... reboot... works.
>>
> Memory Memory Memory -- Did you read the release notes?  Do you have 512MB
> to do a graphic install?

Yes, I have 1.5Gb.

> No?  Well then ...

Then what? Then avoid the distro that idiotically ships a kernel that
breaks fstabs? If so, I quite agree.

>> 4. Now it finally gets to installing packages stage... but stops after
>> the first 8 or so have been installed. It doesn't lock the machine,
>> anaconda just stops. Reboot... and after sitting through 10 minute
>> cataloguing packages prep again, it carries on installing packages, for
>> another 8 (or so) packages and then stops. There are 800+ packages to
>> install... you do the maths.
>>
> Memory Memory Memory -- Did you read the release notes?

Yes...

> Do you have 512MB to do a graphic install?  No?  Well then ...

Question asked... question answered. Do you have anything useful to say, I
mean other than low grade excuses for developer idiocy?

> Both of those symptoms are well known and well documented.

No they are not.

> Please do not attempt a graphical upgrade on a system that is currently
> broken (demonstrated by a bas fstab).
>
> Please do not attempt a graphical install on a system with less than
> 512MB RAM.

> Please at least glance at the release notes before installing.

Please try reading posts before you start lecturing on subjects you know
little about.