Re: Another stellar release from the Fedora project

Roo wrote:
Working FC6 installation... I use upgrade DVD

1. Complains that my dos partition can't be mounted. Ignore it.

2. Complains that it cannot find swap space... offers to reboot. Reboot...
same problem. I remove any reference to swap in /etc/fstab... and it seems
to work after rebooting
HUGE red flag here. Your fstab is invalid and you wish to continue?? This is madness. You will surely need to do a wipe and install.
3. now Anaconda gives an exception while cataloguing the packages.
Classy... really professional that one. So  I remove blank lines from
/etc/modules.conf... reboot... works.
Memory Memory Memory -- Did you read the release notes? Do you have 512MB to do a graphic install? No? Well then ...
4. Now it finally gets to installing packages stage... but stops after the
first 8 or so have been installed. It doesn't lock the machine, anaconda
just stops. Reboot... and after sitting through 10 minute cataloguing
packages prep again, it carries on installing packages, for another 8 (or
so) packages and then stops. There are 800+ packages to install... you do
the maths.
Memory Memory Memory -- Did you read the release notes? Do you have 512MB to do a graphic install? No? Well then ...

Both of those symptoms are well known and well documented.

Please do not attempt a graphical upgrade on a system that is currently broken (demonstrated by a bas fstab).

Please do not attempt a graphical install on a system with less than 512MB RAM.

Please at least glance at the release notes before installing.

For real issues, please do not install F7 on a system with an AMD/ATI X1000 (R500) or X2000 (R600) GPU that have a resolution greater than 1600x1200. The vesa driver will be used on all of those cards.

The vesa driver does not support many laptop resolutions -- beware!

The binary blob drivers from AMD/ATI do not currently work with F7. It is unknown when they will. They are only partially working on other distros running 2.6.21 kernels.

See: http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3085