Re: F7 Install Problem (Installation DVD Not Recognized After Boot)

Browder, Tom wrote:
I'm having the same problem as Frode Petersen had with FC 6.  See May
2007 list thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2007-May/msg00430.html

I was able to install FC 6 OK, but I have had the DVD not recognized
(after a successful boot) in both F7 test 4 and now the real F7.  (My
bad that I didn't report it, but I figured surely someone else would
have the same problem.)

As near as I can tell in the thread, no one had a solution except to try
another DVD device or maybe a new mobo.

Frode's last msg had a complicated test he was going to try, but his
first thesis (that I agree with) is that a DVD that boots Ok should be
able to be used for the rest of the installation!

Maybe an update is in order; I should have posted this earlier, but I gave up the drive and have been waiting (and waiting) ever since for my new SATA drive to arrive.

I will test those media once again, and hope that media burnt using the new drive will work. The new drive would be a waste if the problem persists!

That complicated procedure stranded on FC6 install media not having accessible virtual consoles. Maybe Fedora 7 is different?

The exact sequence of events for me is:

Boot the DVD for a graphical install/upgrade
select: "English"
  "US"
  "Local CDROM"  # shouldn't that now say CD/DVD? or one selection for
each?

then the response:

Unable to find any devices of the type
needed for this installation type.
Would you like to manually select your
driver or use a driver disk?

It says 'device' instead of 'media', but if the problem I had really was drivers being swapped for incompatible ones (for my HW), and the problems are the same, then this would be a confirmation of that problem. (Hmm...there's somthing about the logic in that sentence...:-)

Frode