RE: New Mouse Install sans system-config-mouse

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 17:07 -0500, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
>  > > The nice thing about the old system-config-mouse was that it gave
> > > you a list of mice from which you could pick a best match.  I have
> > > not stumbled across this list elsewhere.  I am currently
> > > test machine and will see what kind of mouse configuration it
> > > comes up with for the new mouse.  I will then try copying that
> > > to my FC6 machine and see what happens.
> > >
> > > Bob S
> > Well I confused the issue by posting the FC4 xorg.conf in answer to a
> > previous question like this. But two further comments are interesting:
> >
> > I have used a PS/2 mouse on a system with 7 computers and one mouse
> > through a KVM and it worked well.
> >
> > Second, FC6 has a different attitude towards mice. There is no mouse
> > configuration clause in my xorg.conf on my FC6 machine with a
> > PS/2 mouse
> > so I don't know whether FC4 information will be useful on FC6.
> >
> > Although , our colleague Tim says this problem is rampant I have never
> > experienced or heard of it before. But is it exists I am sure it is a
> > hardware problem.
>
> The new optical wheel mouse works fine if I plug it directly into the
> machine.  It is only through the KVM that things get messed up.  The
> old mouse works fine through the KVM.  The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file does
> have an input selection with a protocol for the mouse.  If you run
> Xorg -configure
> from run level 3, it puts a protocol of "auto" in there on an FC6
> system.
> The Xorg doc says that the mouse is probed on the fly.  It appears all
> the information needed is not getting through the KVM for "auto" to work
> correctly.  I am hoping that by using an older Fedora which still used
> X.org, I can determine what the protocol is that would be detected if
> everything worked.  I would then code that in the appropriate place in
> the xorg.conf file.  This of course may not work, but it is the best
> idea I have at the moment.

Uh, is this a Belkin KVM by any chance?  They're rather notorious for
hosing mice connections.  I use Linksys and Rose KVMs and have had few
issues.  I've heard many a horror story about Belkins, however.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -