Re: r300 driver stability

On 5/31/07, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2007 04:08:52 +0200
"Andras Simon" <szajmi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could someone who
> uses it tell about his/her experiences, especially stability-wise?

Have fun reading: http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html

Nice read :-) It brings back fond memories of modeline tweaking from
10+ years ago.

The biggest problem seems to be the random screen blanking and
flickering that seems to infest a wide variety of ATI cards when
driving high resolution monitors. In many ways this looks more
like a hardware defect than a driver problem because folks have
seen in under windows as well.

If it only affected high resolution monitors, I could live with it,
since I'm not likely to go above 1280x1024 in the foreseeable future.
But I've just found a message of yours in this list from last August,
stating

| On x86_64, I have never yet seen DRI working correctly in the open source
| radeon driver, so basically there is no ATI 3D on x86_64. The fglrx driver
| worked for a while, but the most recent ones hard hang the system whenever
| I exit the X server, so that's not much funn.

I don't care much about the fglrx driver, but if the open source
driver doesn't work on  x86_64, then I may be better off with a very
low end NVidia card, occasionally trying out noveau or NV's driver but
generally not putting much hope into 3D.

Andras