r300 driver stability

I'm putting together a new box that is going to have Fedora 7 (x86_64
if it matters) on it. The last remaining component I haven't made up
my mind on is the video card. I don't need stellar 3D performance (a
little hardware 3D acceleration would be nice though), but I'm very
much concerned about stability. Having been bitten in the past by the
proprietary NVidia drivers, this time I'm leaning towards the r300
series of ATI cards, as they are supported by OS drivers. (Actually,
I'd prefer one of the r200 series of cards, but I haven't found one
with a PCIe interface.) But since the r300 driver is based on reverse
engineering, I'm not sure if this is a safe choice. Could someone who
uses it tell about his/her experiences, especially stability-wise?

Andras