Re: Improving the Internet (X - Re: I love IP Tables....)

stan wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:56:40 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
There isn't really a generic "internet" one, that fills in the missing
purposes.  e.g. If only you could register "nicename.inet" and not
have to care whether it was commercial, personal, had content
logically related to the domain name, was somehow local or generally
world-wide.

Why are domains needed at all?  Why can't there just be a requirement
for a unique name?

That is the requirement. The domain system fulfills it by establishing a hierarchical system where authority to assign names can be granted and subdivided at the '.' levels. There is no requirement to have your own top/second level domain, you just have to have someone that has some existing level grant you naming authority below (to the left of) any existing subdomain. This can be done either by that person maintaining the names you assign in their DNS zone file or by delegating DNS lookups to nameservers you provide for that subdomain. I don't know if there is any limit to the depth you can go, but the top level stuff is more cosmetic than a practical requirement.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx