Re: Improving the Internet (X - Re: I love IP Tables....)

Tim:
>> If .com was *only* ever used for commerical use, and using .com was
>> enforced for commercial use, and we had something else for personal
>> use, we could blanket delete all .com originating mail, and still
>> receive all our non .com mail from our personal friends.  ;-)

Michael Klinosky:
> Several years ago, I concocted the notion of '.per' addresses (for
> 'person'). I searched for someone to tell, but didn't know enough then
> to know where to look.
>
> I figured that we needed something for personal domains (e.g. websites,
> where a person buys a name).

Well, we have "name," as pointed out, and it had problems, as pointed
out.  We have an "id.au" one for similar reasons, and it has similar
problems.  e.g. what do all the John Smiths do?

We have "info" which would have been a good alternative to "com" for a
great many things, but it's stupidly seen as an infested domain ("com"
is *really* the most abused), and not appropriate for all.  Then there's
"biz," which is essentially a needless doubling up on "com."

Then we have country codes, which I think are badly implemented by
various services.  e.g. Do a search for Australian webpages, and many
things without a .au TLD are ignored, even though they're Australian,
and shouldn't really have to have a .au TLD, too.  An Australian
webpage, for example, might me one by an Aussie, about something
Australian, hosted on Australian soil, or whatnot.  The TLD is only a
small part of a determining factor.

There isn't really a generic "internet" one, that fills in the missing
purposes.  e.g. If only you could register "nicename.inet" and not have
to care whether it was commercial, personal, had content logically
related to the domain name, was somehow local or generally world-wide.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.