Re: still having problems contacting the apache server

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 17:10 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> No I am unfamiliar with Se Linux unfortunately and I am having a little
> trouble here.  I followed Dan Walsh's steps to change the port and here is
> what I have for an error I will also include the command I used to execute
> the creation of the new port for se manage.  I also told apache to listen on
> both ports 80 and 712 that's the only configuration changes I have made in
> the httpd.conf file.
>
> [root@localhost ~]# semanage port -a -t http_port_t -p tcp 712
> libsepol.context_from_record: MLS is enabled, but no MLS context found
> libsepol.context_from_record: could not create context structure
> libsepol.port_from_record: could not create port structure for range 712:712
> (tcp)
> libsepol.sepol_port_modify: could not load port range 712 - 712 (tcp)
> libsemanage.dbase_policydb_modify: could not modify record value
> libsemanage.semanage_base_merge_components: could not merge local
> modifications into policy

I tried that command on FC5 and FC6.  It did something without any
complaints, and Apache works, too (on both ports).  I can't tell what's
wrong with yours, I'm not that familiar with SELinux.  I don't even know
what MLS stands for.

You can just go with your router forwarding port 712 to port 80, and
keep running Apache on port 80.  Or you might try posting a question
back with subject line about "configuring SELinux to run Apache on a
non-standard port".  You might get a response from someone more familiar
with those issues.

Another thing might be to ask your ISP about running a web server on
port 80.  Some might allow you to do that, upon request, and may
reconfigure your connection to let it.  Some even let you do that
yourself.  One of mine let me remotely enable/disable a few ports that
were firewalled by default though a user-configuration webpage.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.