Re: postfix problem with talktalk?

Paul Ward:
>>> As for google mail accepting mail from root they do, I use it all
>>> the time on my server, good for denyhosts ;)

Tim:
>> Hmm, interesting that they do.  Most don't accept bogus domains, it
>> helps cut down on spam.  But, on your system that isn't working, now,
>> are you sending via the same SMTP server?  It's not just the end
>> recipient that *might* refuse fake domains, it's all the SMTP servers
>> it goes through.

Paul Ward:
> That would make sense as his setup is the same as mine, apart from the
> internet provider he uses, talktalk are a real pain so I would not be
> suprised if they were blocking it.

To be honest, it's the normal thing to do (block mail with bogus
domains).  In the past, I would have argued that was a good thing, as
it'd cut down on spammers.  Now, with spammers forging *other* people's
details, so not to get blocked, I think we'd be better off with a
different approach.

> Is there a way around faking the mail to look like it came from
> another one of his email addresses?

Yes, though it's not something that I've done.  With sendmail, it's
"masquerade" options in the configuration.  I don't know how postfix
handles it.  An easy solution is to have a real domain name, and
configure your system to use it.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.