Re: Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem

On 5/28/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 28 May 2007 21:33:22 Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> *AND* because the fedora distribution does nothing to assist their users
> >> in installing the driver that Nvidia makes freely available.  The
> >> party-line argument that third party drivers cause support problems kind
> >> of falls on its face when the included driver doesn't work at all...
> >
> > Nvidia supplies the driver, shouldn't they also supply the support
> > for it? After all, Nvidia is getting profit for selling the
> > hardware. They are also the people that know what is in the driver.
> > Why should someone else be expected to provide support if Nvadia
> > isn't willing to provide the source for their driver, or at least
> > the information needed so someone else can create an open source driver?
>
> Per the original poster, it isn't Nvidia's driver that is broken, it is
> the one included in the distribution.
>
> Supplying, or at least documenting the procedure to get the working
> version isn't about 'supporting' Nvidia, it is about supporting fedora
> users and providing something that works for them.  It seems odd for
> that to be such a controversial topic.

The linux compatibility list says that the nv driver works for the card in
question.  Tested on Debian, IIRC.

Anne

The problem may not have anything to do with the driver for the
graphics adapter. A few of my systems have embedded graphics adapters.
Numerous distributions(including Fedora) have choked on the disabled
embedded adapter. When that happens I resort to text mode install and
run system-config-display or it's equivalent post install.