Re: YUM update dies with confict between poppler-utils andxpdf-utils

Julius Smith wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I guess I did!
You can remove xpdf and xpdf-utils, update your system and then
install xpdf again and it will succeed on installation. (At least
it did for me).

Jim
For me in FC6, xpdf depends on both poppler-utils and xpdf-utils, and
I can find no way to avoid the conflict without going around yum.  The
measures mentioned in this thread do not work for me.  I always get:

Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/pdftoppm conflicts between
attempted installs of poppler-utils-0.5.1-3.fc5 and
xpdf-utils-3.01-12.1
 file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz conflicts between attempted
installs of poppler-utils-0.5.1-3.fc5 and xpdf-utils-3.01-12.1

I wish yum had a -force option.

You would probably be better served by running
package-cleanup --problems
from the yum-utils package. This should give information why yum is showing a conflict. You might have results using some of the options to the rpm program directly, depending on what problems package-cleanup outputs. If you post what package-cleanup --problems outputs, a solution might be suggested by reviewing the output.

-- jos

This worked for FC6. Are you running FC6 as an upgraded system or FC5? Michael commented about this in reply to your post.

Jim

--
When in doubt, do what the President does -- guess.