Re: YUM update dies with confict between poppler-utils andxpdf-utils

For me in FC6, xpdf depends on both poppler-utils and xpdf-utils, and
I can find no way to avoid the conflict without going around yum.  The
measures mentioned in this thread do not work for me.  I always get:

Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/pdftoppm conflicts between
attempted installs of poppler-utils-0.5.1-3.fc5 and
xpdf-utils-3.01-12.1
 file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz conflicts between attempted
installs of poppler-utils-0.5.1-3.fc5 and xpdf-utils-3.01-12.1

I wish yum had a -force option.

-- jos

On 12/19/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Danny Yee wrote:
> I'm getting conflicts between xpdf-utils and poppler-utils again...
>
> I don't understand why such simple problems keep occuring -- surely
> even rudimentary testing of updates on an "everything installed"
> box should spot this kind of conflict?
>
> (I'd love to be able to ditch xpdf, but until evince is fixed so
> it doesn't insist on starting up with a tiny window that has to be
> resized, and it doesn't regularly die and eat all my memory, that's
> not possible.)
>
> Danny.

xpdf is from extras and poppler-utils is from core if I recall. You are
right in that some communication was overlooked between the two
entities. However, xpdf only needed minor elements from xpdf-utils to
function, poppler-utils now provides the needed elements. RPM on the
other hand is not wanting to walk over another rpms files and is
complaining as should happen.

You can remove xpdf and xpdf-utils, update your system and then install
xpdf again and it will succeed on installation. (At least it did for me).

Jim