Re: Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Tim:
>> I would think any programmer that required outside help to install stuff
>> that ordinary semi-competent users can manage to install without outside
>> help is a hopelessly incompetent person to have as a programmer.

Les Mikesell:
> I take it you don't understand the concept of multiuser machines where
> users don't have the root password.  You know - the environment unix was
> designed for...

Incorrect.  I understand that quite well.

In addition to what I'd previously said:  If you're a company that
writes programs, and you don't have competent technical staff on-site
that can handle installing what needed, you're a business in a seriously
precarious position.

I take the meaning of a programmer as someone who writes programs.  If
you mean some data entry monkey, then why would they be installing extra
software?  That's like asking the receptionist to install new lines for
the PABX.

Installing everything, and the kitchen sink, is a rather incompetent way
of going about things.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.