Re: Checkbox for "Install Everything"

> Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 20:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> Suppose you were building a machine that more than one programmer
> >> would use, along with typical office stuff...  What would you include
> >> to keep them from wasting hours of time or calling you in the middle
> >> of the night to install something they need.
> >
> > I would think any programmer that required outside help to install stuff
> > that ordinary semi-competent users can manage to install without outside
> > help is a hopelessly incompetent person to have as a programmer.
>
> I take it you don't understand the concept of multiuser machines where
> users don't have the root password.  You know - the environment unix was
> designed for...

In addition, some of us work on a number of operating systems.  In some
cases, it can be a real issue as to what to install, where to install
it, and how to run it for best results (as in transportable to the next
system or OS version).  After mastering CP/M, DOS, Win 3.1, Win 98,
Unix, RTOS, and Solaris something or other, I threw in the towel on
learning how to manage and maintain the OS, and program it as well.
After that I worked on 6 more OS's (I think), and didn't need to learn
how to install and setup all the goodies to make it work.  Of course I
have been doing this stuff for nearly 35 years, and my programs run from
databases, to spreadsheets, to C and C++ (kindof) to CLISP, Pilot,
Pascal (including writing my own compiler), Basic, including writing my
own interpreter, program generators, program translators, application
program translators from one system and hardware to another for
Integrated Circuit testing, DSP, AI, and 3d graphics.  Somewhere my
brain just got too overloaded to deal with the ins and outs of OS's, all
of which really only do a few things, namely supply files to hardware or
get files from hardware.  Everything else is just implementation.  Why
is it deemed important that I know how to install application xyz on OS
flavor of the month?  Especially with things like Microsoft, where the
OS is more like flavor of 10 years ago.  Here in Linux land, some unix
standards are ignored or being modified to suit some feature I am not
necessarily aware of and may or not be essential to the operation of the
OS.  However I am not in anyway capable of knowing all OS's, or all
standards for a particular OS, and that is where things like RPM come in
handy, assuming they are well done enough to put the software where it
belongs, and set the proper permissions.  No programmer necessarily
needs to know the OS.  In fact that is part of what OO programing is all
about, bury the stuff that is not essential so you can concentrate on
the job at hand.

Regards,
Les H