Re: flash drive mounted under root

on 05/18/2007 12:08 PM Tim wrote:
> oleksandr korneta:
>
> Mine's:
>  ls -Zd /media/
> drwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:mnt_t          /media/

mine is:
$ ls -Zd /media/
drwxrwxrwx  root root system_u:object_r:mnt_t:s0       /media/

> And the /media parent directory permissions wouldn't affect write
> permissions in sub-directories inside /media (e.g. /media/drive/file).
> SELinux could be biting you.

My SELinux was disabled at install and it stays that way (just checked).

> Tim:
>>> On FC6?  I don't see that problem.  I'm seeing things mounted with my
>>> user ID but root as the group ID.  I can still do what I want with the
>>> device (mount, unmount, play with the files, etc.).
>
> oleksandr korneta:
>> I'm really happy fro you that you don't have this problem. I did not see
>> it either since fresh install of FC6, until couple weeks ago (cant tell
>> exact time).
>
> Ok.  Didn't know, until then that you're using FC6, too.  I've been
> keeping up-to-date with mine, I tend to run updates every other day or
> so, and nothing recently has caused me problems.  I hadn't noticed any
> problems a little further back, but I hadn't used a flash drive during
> that time.  Are you up-to-date?

yes. I use smart and update the system at least once a week from
official repositories.

>> Now _all_ my removable storage (DAPs, pen-drives, all the media cards
>> through cardreader) is mounted read-only on this system.
>
> What file system are you using on them?  FAT doesn't have separate user
> permissions, so will get what the mount applies to it.  Other systems do
> have user ownership, and can/will use the ones on the drive's file
> system.

All these media have FAT16/32 filesystem. I know that FAT does not have
filesystem-lever permission policies, and that is why I blame my system.

>> Now, who tells me what packages have something to do with this
>> situation, I will trace their update and try to roll back to previous
>> version?
>
> You should probably look through your /var/log/yum.log (if you used yum
> to update).  I haven't looked into what packages, but HAL, UDEV and
> gnome-mount are some of the things that could be involved.
No. I use smart, but this:

$ rpm -qa hal udev gnome-mount --last
udev-095-17.fc6                               Thu 18 Jan 2007 08:51:38
AM EST
hal-0.5.8.1-6.fc6                             Fri 05 Jan 2007 07:42:08
PM EST
gnome-mount-0.5-2.fc6                         Fri 03 Nov 2006 06:38:08
PM EST

tells me that the last time any these were updated was a while ago. This
problem showed up much later.

>> PS: I hate the person  who came up with *brilliant* idea to move  all
>> the removable stuff mounting configurations from fstab, everything was
>> so clear and easy there...
>
> As far as I'm concerned, removable media ought to work all by itself,
> without you having to do anything with fstab.  It's the damn computer,
> it should figure out what to do.

Tim, one thing I know for sure that in FC4 all the configuration was
managed through fstab and when I used to plug the pen drive the mount
point was created in /media and correspondent string was added to fstab
(thanks to whatever package was in charge of it). Thus, I was able to
either mount it manually or through the file-browser. And everything was
clear and transparent. And now this topic is 4 days old and no one even
can tell me where is the hal policy stored, so I can identify the
problem and fix it manually.

> Removable media can be a right pain with fstab, but you can still use
> it.  Though be prepared for headaches when it comes to things not being
> connected at boot, USB drives that get plugged into different USB
> sockets or connected in different orders (/dev/sda one day, /dev/sdb the
> next time you plug it in after plugging in another device, first).

I am familiar with this, and I know that pain, but at least whenever
something was wrong I knew it is my fault and I have enough expertise to
fix it. Now I know nothing.

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./