Re: On Bugzilla and spreading FOSS, was: Where Fedora Went Wrong...

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 09:04:05 -0500,
  Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since people yelled at me I have been bugzilla-ing more. I still find it
> a royal pain in the &^%$&. It probably does a good job in notifying the
> developers of bugs. But what it rarely does is solve your problem
> promptly.

If the problem is really a bug, you probably aren't going to get a quick
fix no matter what you do. Then for normal people, about the only options
are falling back to an earlier version or using an alternate tool.

If your question is really how to do something and not a bug, then google
or mailing lists can be a good source of answers.

> So in my case gnome-cd was the offending program. I had to install the
> gnome-cd-debuginfo rpm. Isn't that neat and from my point of view been
> kept sort of secret, for me at least.

I think the unspoken hope is that there will be few bugs found only by
normal people, so that people more comfortable with doing advanced
analysis and working with the maintainers will be available.