Re: How do I pair a bluetooth device graphically from the GNOME desktop?

Mail List wrote:

On Sunday 13 May 2007 08:20:12 pm Lux Zhang wrote:
The idea is that I am trying to pair my bluetooth headset. In which
case, I need to initiate the connection from the laptop. I am aware
about the other way around. My point is, if there is a UI available for
doing such pairing. I would like to know if it is possible to invoke it
through the command line directly. I understand that there is no UI /
application available right now for doing it. Just wondering why.

Not sure if this helps - but does hidd --search help or is that 'the wrong way round' from your needs.

Hi Guys,

I can scan for my bluetooth devices using "hcitool scan" .. Once I have the device ID, I would like to pair it with my laptop; and ideal case would be:

1. Search for bluetooth devices.
2. Initiate pairing from the system
3. Browse capabilities and then pair with the desired capabilities. In this case, the bluetooth headset to act as my headset.
4. My applications start this device / capability.

Earlier there was the bluetooth manager application, but it had issues and it was "resolved" by getting rid of it :-/

Now I am a pure Java boy who would love to build these applications, but since I am having a tough time finding java-bindings for these libraries, I am unable to proceed much. I have been trying to play around with gluegen[1] to generate the java-bindings, but haven't had much luck (also because of the fact that I have never written JNI, and I have never really programmed in C).

Off topic question: If I decide to build a native application, what would the basic tools be, i.e., IDE / language choice. Please note, when I a ask for IDEs, I am basically looking at an IDE that will do things all the way, like provide me with a project stub capable of building an rpm out of the compiled code.

thanks,
Rogue

[1] - https://gluegen.dev.java.net