Re: How to mount floppy?

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
Can someone tell me why I can't mount a Windows floppy containing a
WordPerfect .wpd file on this FC6 computer?

mount  /dev/fd0
mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

so I tried mount -t vfat /dev/fd0

but that doesn't work!

Of course not.  Most floppies are FAT-12 filesystems.  Try just "-t
msdos" instead of vfat.

Yes I had tried msdos, that wasn't my problem ...
I put the following in /etc/fstab

/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    defaults,noauto 0 0

which may not be correct?  I tried to follow what I see in a Centos4.4
box that does read the floppy directory, but messed around with the
default,noauto.

My entries for fd0 & fd1:

/dev/fd0	/A:	msdos	defaults,user,noauto
/dev/fd1	/B:	msdos	defaults,owner,noauto

of course this will only allow any user to mount a FAT formatted floppy
by hand (The user can now type:  "mount /dev/fd0"   and it should work
and only that user should have write-access to the floppy.)  You can
read about the differences between "user" and "owner" in the mount man page.

I feel like a rat in a maze after spending the whole morning trying to
retrieve the file from an old doggy Windows 98 computer that must have
crashed twenty times and refuses to recognize a mouse.  Windows without
a mouse is a real exercise, for me anyway!

Before playing with /etc/fstab, mount it by hand.  In that way, you can
play with the mount arguments until you get it right.  Try:

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /media/floppy

and see if that works.  If it does, then you can create:

/dev/fd0	/media/floppy	msdos	defaults,user

Thanks for the information, I needed that.

Bob Goodwin